Books to Film

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
David

Sun May 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Nash wrote:I see that the Sheik of Araby gets a mention. I think that was the only real song mentioned in Gatsby, wasn't it?
What a brilliant observation to be able to make! I'm not sure whether you're you're right or not, but I bet you are. I find the Leon Redbone version they mention in the article a bit soporific, so here's a man that's never soporific (even when he's with another sleepy person) -

And here's the Wiliam Atherton version of What'll I Do they mention (from the 1974 GG) - it's very good!

And, because I love it, here's Julie London's version -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOzTUWg ... re=related[/youtube]

And (again), here's a link to the 1974 GG soundtrack listing - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071577/soundtrack

No soundtrack available for the 2012 version yet!
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Mon May 28, 2012 5:46 pm

It's been so long since I read Gatsby that the only thing that still resonates in me is the impossibility of
the American Dream
- and that always makes me think of Simon & Garfunkel's AMERICA, however inappropriate that might seem :)

I must get around to watching the film.

As an aside, Mr Redford actually considered making a film of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance .
Now that would have been indubitably the worst adaptation EVER, and a guaranteed Hollywood box-office toykey!
Instead of just sitting on the fence - why not stand in the middle of the road?
Nicky B
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Can't add to this - but have been really enjoying the music - thank you for the education! (gives me even less faith in Baz's Gatsby, but you never can tell).
Nash

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Ok, I've thought of one where the film is far better than the book.

I've been reading The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. Fantastic idea, and a great story, but quite poorly written in, what I would imagine is, a Mills & Boon sort of a style. Every time we meet Chauvelin in the story she describes him as looking like a fox - every single time - often several times on consecutive lines. I get that she's implying that he's cunning but honestly, he's starting to turn into an animated Disney character in my head.

If you haven't read it, watch the 1934 film instead:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0cE8B5 ... re=related[/youtube]
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:22 am

Seeing this reminds me of how mixed my feelings are about the upcoming Hobbit movie. I thought the Lord of the Rings films were pretty good, but there were some plot choices that made no sense to me. Looks like Jackson is getting even bolder with his Hobbit proposal.

While we're on the fantasy theme, I read somewhere that Terry Gilliam could have been the director of Potter, and JK Rowling wanted him to do it. That was a huge opportunity lost. It would have been watchable.

I am enjoying both manifestations of Sherlock Holmes, but the BBC is far superior.

Children of Men was based on a novel, and it was fan-tas-tic.

Ender's Game is supposed to be made into a movie, I really hope it's good but I'm not optimistic.

The Godfather needs to be mentioned. At least 1 & 2.

I am Legend was pathetic. I like Will Smith but that was a mistake. If they had actually kept the book's ending it might have been salvageable, but alas, twas not to be.

Fight Club was interesting, but I liked the twists and turns of the book better.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Baron Munchausen as adapted by Terry Gilliam were fantastic.

The Bourne Identity was as well, though its sequels were lackluster.

Lord of the Flies had an older adaptation, I'm wondering how long it will be with the angsty "Hunger Games" and of course the child actors of Ender's Game, I hope they bring that back.

The Chronicles of Narnia bring tears of embarrassment to my eyes. They tried to make it Middle Earthy. Even Liam Nieson Aslan couldn't save it.

The Hunt for Red October was an okay movie, if my childhood memories aren't too off-base.

Last one I'll mention, I know this is a few years old but the latest adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was supposed to have had Douglas Adam's personal input but it was such a disappointment for me, I must say. The push to make it a love story was just misguided.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Welcome, stranger.
The Chronicles of Narnia bring tears of embarrassment to my eyes.
But Tilda Swinton was HOT.
I know this is a few years old but the latest adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was supposed to have had Douglas Adam's personal input but it was such a disappointment for me, I must say. The push to make it a love story was just misguided
Completely agree, it was a disappointment given that I thought it couldn't fail with Martin Freeman in that role.
Children of Men was based on a novel
I didn't know that. Great film.

I liked Cronenberg's Naked Lunch, but I like any Cronenberg (except the more recent stuff).
fine words butter no parsnips
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:54 pm

k-j wrote:But Tilda Swinton was HOT.
Yes, point taken.
k-j wrote:Completely agree, it was a disappointment given that I thought it couldn't fail with Martin Freeman in that role.
I know right! I mean I know he was playing opposite Zoey Dechanelle (sp?) but... ugh... sincerity of any kind is just forbidden in the Hitchhiker's Guide.

As for Children of Men, I'm still trying to track down the novel. I learned about it only after having seen the movie, and I can't imagine it will be better. It's by P.D. James...who I had only vaguely heard of.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
annefmoreno

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:53 am

There a plenty of book which was recreated as film.
violajsilver

Mon May 30, 2016 5:42 am

There are a lot of books are converted film due to Its good story and good reader response.
Macavity

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am

Stumbled upon Daphne du Maurier's writes this year - read Jamaica Inn, The House on the Strand and presently reading the short story volume The Birds. The latter story differs from the Hitchcock film. There's more menace in the open ending!

On the film/book theme, I always felt that Welles 'The Trial' delivered on the paranoia.
David

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:34 am

Interesting resurrection of a thread I had forgotten, Mac. I haven't read any Du Maurier but I believe she's very good.

And I haven't seen Welles' take on The Trial, but I''d like to. Come to that, I'm not even sure I've seen Chimes at Midnight.
Macavity

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:48 pm

I wouldn't say 'good', well I wouldn't bracket her with Austen or Dickens, but for an undemanding read then I'd say fine. I enjoyed the landscape descriptions in Jamaica Inn, and I have a taste for period pieces, but I wouldn't recommend her for you.