Books to Film

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:37 am

k-j wrote:I didn't know there was a film of Orlando! One of my favourite novels, I'll try and get hold of the DVD this weekend.
I saw it last night and it was an entertaining movie! Love Tilda. Thought the end bit with Zane was lame-a-licious.

I was hoping they'd handle the sex-change a bit more starkly, more viscerally. But then I remember in the book being surprised by it too. I was thinking it might have worked better with two different (but similar-looking) actors - but that would have been hard to arrange.

Thought the Russian bit - and the Thames bit - was very nicely done. And overall, loved the approach. Just wish they'd ended in 1920's Bloomsbury with the literateurs.
fine words butter no parsnips
Nash

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Just thought I'd revive this thread as I've just watched the 1974 adaptation of The Great Gatsby for the first time. Pretty much as perfect an adaptation as you can get I reckon. I particularly liked the use of 'Ain't We Got Fun' as the end theme, it put a whole new cynical spin on the song.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:58 am

Nash wrote:Just thought I'd revive this thread as I've just watched the 1974 adaptation of The Great Gatsby for the first time. Pretty much as perfect an adaptation as you can get I reckon. I particularly liked the use of 'Ain't We Got Fun' as the end theme, it put a whole new cynical spin on the song.
Alright, I'll have to see that. Cheers.

Other famous adaptations of famous novels I haven't seen: Catch-22, Ulysses.
fine words butter no parsnips
Nash

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:19 pm

It's worth a watch k-j. Although, after reading some reviews of the film today I may be in a minority.

I find the negative critical feedbacks for the film quite unusual:

NY Times:
but the movie itself is as lifeless as a body that's been too long at the bottom of a swimming pool.

It's frivolous without being much fun.

Time Out:
this relies too much on appearance, making little attempt to explore behind the beguiling '20s façade

One critic even said that the film doesn't exude with the sheer joy of the period!

Did they read the same book as me or did they just read other reviews and pretend that they'd read the book....surely not!

Isn't one of the main points of the novel to show the shiny veneer of the 1920's elite and strip it away to show the emptiness beneath? I think the film accomplishes this admirably. Particularly in the party scenes where, from a distance, they look elegant and wonderful but as the camera closes in it shows the grotesqueness of it all.

Anyone else seen it?
David

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:12 pm

I don't think I've seen it, in fact I'm almost sure I haven't, but I somehow have a memory of Bruce Dern being very good in it. How can that be?
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 am

"Let the right one in" is a beautiful adaptation:

Certain elements of the book are merely suggested at, and as with most adaptations doesn't really get to the core, but beautifully done all the same.

"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" adapted from "Men Who Hate Women" by Stieg Larsson

Didn't watch the 2009 version, but watched the latest David Fincher remake, and enjoyed it immensely, best the read the book!

http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
Nash

Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm

David wrote:I don't think I've seen it, in fact I'm almost sure I haven't, but I somehow have a memory of Bruce Dern being very good in it. How can that be?
Bruce Dern's always good though, isn't he? That's reminded me, I haven't seen Silent Running for a long time, I used to love that when I was a kid.
camus wrote:"Let the right one in" is a beautiful adaptation:
I had no idea it was based on a book Kris, certainly a very beautiful film though.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 06, 2012 12:52 am

I had no idea it was based on a book Kris, certainly a very beautiful film though.
I highly recommend the book. It certainly expands upon the history of Eli and his/her "keeper" I read it after I'd watched the film, not a problem.

FYI The title is named after a Mozzer song, the author being a huge fan.
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 06, 2012 7:25 am

Here is a very choppy cut and paste list of most of the movies from this thread:

Branagh's Hamlet and Henry V
Kurosawa's Ran
The Thin Red Line
Apocalypse Now --> Heart of Darkness
Nathanel West's Day of the Locust
Baz Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet Or West Side Story
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Clockwork Orange
Max Reinhardt version of A Midsummer Night's Dream
Tennant's Hamlet
Patrick Stewart as Macbeth, directed by Ruper Goold James Hilton's 'Random Harvest'
David Lean's versions of 'Oliver Twist' and 'Great Expectations'.
George Cukor David Copperfield
Beeb's recent Bleak House
Orlando [1992], film by Sally Potter
1974 adaptation of The Great Gatsby
Let the right one in

And as it happens, I saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last weekend (loved it) and bought the book yesterday as I have heard from many that it is even better than the film.

I did see Pride and Prejud for the first time recently and, well, actually enjoyed it. I was surprised about that. But I admit it.

I am not sure I can really embrace the vampire themes. I just don't "get it".
(t is an acquired taste, I suppose.)

Summer films and good reads. Ahhhh. Let it begin.
Suzanne

Suzanne
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 am

I am not sure I can really embrace the vampire themes. I just don't "get it".
(t is an acquired taste, I suppose.)
Cast your mind away from Twilight and the like Suzanne, this is far more subtle and indeed reaching, brilliant stuff, both the film and book.
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Hmm....

You've got me thinking. Pausing to consider. Subtle sucking of blood and immortality? Perhaps I'll read some reviews.
I just order a bunch (Orlando, plus others) but next time, maybe this one.. it comes with such high marks.

Twilight, ha..... silly.

Hey I once saw a BBC thing ( I think) about a geisha and a cherry tree... or something like that. It was many years ago and I have never found what it was. Any ideas? I thought it was titled Under the Cherry Tree but I have not had any luck with finding it. Maybe it was a mini series thing? I know it is not much to go on but... anyone?

Warmly,
Suzanne
Nash

Tue May 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Suzanne wrote:Hey I once saw a BBC thing ( I think) about a geisha and a cherry tree... or something like that. It was many years ago and I have never found what it was. Any ideas? I thought it was titled Under the Cherry Tree but I have not had any luck with finding it. Maybe it was a mini series thing? I know it is not much to go on but... anyone?
Mrs Nash wonders if this is what you were thinking of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096595/
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Yes! I think so! Thanks Mrs. Nash! It was such a long time ago, I'd given up.

Suzanne
Nash

Thu May 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Hmmm.......what do we all think of this then?

Nicky B
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri May 25, 2012 8:21 pm

That can only be bad - surely that can only be bad? It looks bad.

But then again it is Baz, and I was rather partial to Moulin Rouge, although not so much for R&J, and middling for Strictly Ballroom. Did anyone see Australia?

Would be interested to see that 1974 version.

My money's def on bad.

Nicky B.

p.s. re: vampires - I'm a sucker for Buffy, we all have our vices.
Nicky B
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri May 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Oooo, and having found this thread, my recommendation would be The Princess Bride - book by William Goldman, film by someone else (I have no idea who). Both two of my favourites.

Nicky B.
Nash

Sat May 26, 2012 9:23 am

Nicky B wrote:That can only be bad - surely that can only be bad? It looks bad.
I'm just not sure on this one, Nicky. To give him his due, Lurhmann's work is visually spectacular so it may be good for the Gatsby parties? Dunno, we'll have to wait and see. My biggest problem is going to be with his penchant for crappy soundtracks, I can't see him including any 20s jazz in there - it's all going to be shitty disco music isn't it?
Nicky B wrote:But then again it is Baz, and I was rather partial to Moulin Rouge, although not so much for R&J
I'm the other way around, I really enjoyed his Romeo and Juliet but found Moulin Rouge repulsive. I couldn't watch it, I seem to remember I only got about 15 minutes in.
Nicky B wrote:my recommendation would be The Princess Bride
Now that is a lovely film, haven't read the book though, you've gotta love a post-modern fairtytale.
David

Sat May 26, 2012 10:00 am

Nicky B wrote:That can only be bad - surely that can only be bad? It looks bad.
I think it looks terrific! As we'd expect from Baz (I love Moulin Rouge) ... but will that be enough?

His Twenties New York looks astonishingly good - but they misspelled Ziegfeld? How can they do that?
Nicky B wrote:p.s. re: vampires - I'm a sucker for Buffy, we all have our vices.
Me too!
Nicky B
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat May 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Ah, maybe I should be less cynical. It's just that I love the book and generally loathe Hollywood. It never seems to manage "dark" very well.
Nash wrote: I can't see him including any 20s jazz in there - it's all going to be shitty disco music isn't it?
We might have to take this outside to the music board. Much as I hate the version of U2's blindness in the preview, I would argue Baz's soundtracks to be a potential plus........

Although if you bailed after 15 minutes you won't have got this far, and I have to agree the R&J soundtrack was fairly dire.

20s jazz I need some educating on (please do!), but really - a whole soundtrack of 20s jazz, would that work?

The Princess Bride book is good, but it's probably one of those rare occasions where the film betters the book. However I would still recommend adding it to your summer reading list.

David - Glad you're with me on Moulin Rouge. Have you tried the Buffy comics? They're dreadful but quite compulsive.

Nicky B.
Nash

Sat May 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Good God! Is that Ewan MacGregor singing? Just when I thought he couldn't get any more annoying!

I think what I dislike most about Moulin Rouge is that it's like watching a very, very long perfume ad off the telly.
Nicky B wrote:but really - a whole soundtrack of 20s jazz, would that work?
Absolutely, it is arguably the great novel of the jazz age so why not? I suppose he'll want it to appeal to as wide an audience as possible though, so he's bound to go modern with the music.
David

Sat May 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Nash wrote:I think what I dislike most about Moulin Rouge is that it's like watching a very, very long perfume ad off the telly.
That's very well put! I still love it, though, and I'm not a big fan of perfume ads.
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat May 26, 2012 8:59 pm

20s jazz I need some educating on (please do!)
Bessie+the band

We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Nash

Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 pm

David wrote:but they misspelled Ziegfeld? How can they do that?
Hah! Well spotted, Hawkeye Dave!
David wrote:That's very well put! I still love it, though,
.....and more power to yer elbow. One man's meat is another man's cup of tea and all that.
David

Sun May 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Nicky B wrote:but really - a whole soundtrack of 20s jazz, would that work?
Here's a nice link I found. Stuff worth exploring here.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... on-redbone

This is a good one, although it's not exactly quintessential Jazz Age -

Nash

Sun May 27, 2012 4:34 pm

It's always good to hear Bessie Smith isn't it, Seth?

That's a fine track, David. Never heard it before and he does indeed have a little hat!

Good article too, I see that the Sheik of Araby gets a mention. I think that was the only real song mentioned in Gatsby, wasn't it? So I think if we're going to have our own Gatsby soundtrack then this one needs to be in there - more 20's pop than blues?

Here's fun, play the Gatsby trailer on mute and listen to this while watching it!