Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm

My apologies then, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Seems like you still are.

What is your thesis here? Support the troops but not the wars they fight in? That's supportable I guess.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:59 pm

Ooohh..I am going to get in trouble here..but I do not believe it is possible to disarm the world. Idealistic but not possible. Too many filled with greed and corruption. I think George would agree.
I just started reading '84 again. Read it once per year as a reminder.

Goodthinkfully Yours,
Julia
Ray Trivedi

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:08 pm

juliadebeauvoir wrote:I do not believe it is possible to disarm the world.
Why?
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:06 am

I wish there was a simple answer as I breath out your question, "Why"...I would like to say to that question a resounding "Yes!", but I believe that there will always be some one with bigger and better weapons. Some nation that will hide them out of fear or ego or the desire to conquer. What do you do with the malestrom of bio chemical weapons, smaller nations being able to aquire nuclear and bio chemical weapons, ect..what do you do with that? The question then becomes "Why do you think it IS possible to completely disarm"? I think that time has shown that political pressure and committees do not make a dent in the hidden weapons all around the world. How do you force a country to give up arms? Threaten them with violence? Withhold food?
We are not far from Holocausts--only 60 years from WWII and then look at the holocausts that have been going on in the last twenty years(Kurdish Holocaust, Idi Amin in Uganda...) while we all ignored what was happening, reading our People Magazines and sucking down McDonald Shakes thinking the world was a nice place to live..we still do. I know that I have only presented problems and not solutions--maybe at this time as a human race we cannot live with peace. Maybe at this point in history we are at a certain developmental age and cannot walk before we run. My only wish is that there would never be another war for my children or my children's children.

Julia
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about trying to prove why, Julia. History's on your side. I've asked Ray for his thesis on the matter and he has yet to say anything.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
Dario

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:19 pm

That some scary shit that. I couldn't read it.
Can you beleive somethin like that really happenin?
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:34 pm

"101 contains is quite simply, “the worst thing in the world.” This varies from individual to individual. For some it may be torture, fire for some one else, drowning for yet others. For each individual, Room 101 held his greatest fear. When confronted with that, courage and cowardice lose their meaning, one will do whatever one has to do to avoid the horror in Room 101 as naturally and automatically as one will grab at a rope to keep from falling".
Dario,
There is something worse than Room 101...it is never keeping the mind informed of fearful possiblilities in order to avoid them as a culture and as a person. Please read it--you will find that the fear of it will dissapate as it enlightens the brain.

Cheers,
Julia